ThePigSite Quick Disease Guide
This is a failure of milk let down, shortage of milk or no milk in an otherwise healthy animal.
SymptomsLactating Sows only
- Inappetence may or not be present.
- May have slight fever but usually no temperature.
- Udder tissue is poorly developed and disappearing.
- Oedema of the udder.
- No milk.
- Piglets starving due to no milk.
Causes / Contributing factors
- Old age.
- Excess body condition.
- Water shortage.
- Poor crate design.
- Sequel to oedema or mastitis.