ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Home     PMWS News     PMWS Research     PMWS Forum     PMWS Newsletter
PCVD.org Dansk
PCVD.org Français
PCVD.org Svenska
PCVD.org Nederlands
PCVD.org Español
PCVD.org English

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > PMWS and PDNS
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:42

Send a message via AIM to shaun greiner
Default Is PCV2 vaccine working?

Hello all,

I was wondering if the PCV2 vaccine is working. The vaccine will be availible in the USA soon.

Shaun Greiner
Old October 27th, 2006, 17:11

Default PCV2 vaccination

Dear Shaun,
Definitively, to get a reply many months after the message postage will not be of any help, but... just in case! Maybe you already know it, but some results on PCV2 vaccination were presented by US/Canadian colleagues at the Allen D. Leman Swine Conference (last September), showing a really great performance (although only preliminary results were shown). In fact, all vaccines used (Merial, Fort Dodge, Intervet) seemed to work properly, lowering mortalities from 15 to 2-3% in the most successful cases. Will see if these results are further confirmed in the next few months...
At this moment maybe yourself have some experience with PCV2 vaccination. Could you share your ideas/results on it if this is the case?
Very best regards,

Quim
(Joaquim Segales)
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal (CReSA)
Facultat de Veterinaria
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona (Spain)
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:29

Send a message via AIM to shaun greiner
Default Thanks for the reply

Dear Joaquim,

Thankyou for the reply. Since that post I have vaccinated my finishing animal with fort dodge and intervet products. I will be selling my first vaccinated animals this wednesday. With 25 days until closeout, I am currently at 4% deathloss from 25 Kg to current weight. This will be my first group deathloss under 10% in over 2 years and first under 20 % in the last 12 months.

One thing I do see, That there is a lot more slow growing pigs that will barely make market weight. I wonder if the vacccine helps a lot but is just a little short of perfect. Also pigws that show signs of PNDS skin lessions end up living which was not the case before vaccine.

Are your feed cost soaring as fast as they are here in the USA?

Regards,
Shaun Greiner
Old August 26th, 2008, 16:14

Default PCV2 Vaccine on Trial Versus PMWS

This article offers an update on the issue. Here's a small excerpt from the article PCV2 Vaccine on Trial Versus PMWS:

The argument for sow vaccination against PMWS remains that this should supply the earliest possible protection to piglets from an infection of the PCV2 circovirus considered responsible for the syndrome. This view has won most support where troubles with the syndrome have been in the acute phase. Typically, the virus has infected a herd in which the sows carry few protective antibodies and therefore it can cause extreme damage to weaned litters. An initial post-weaning mortality rate as high as 35% has not been unusual, even if this drops back later towards 10% as immunity builds and possibly falls again to 5% when strict hygiene precautions are applied.

Even if filling sows with vaccine succeeds in reducing acute 30%-plus death losses, however, doubts are expressed over its ability to contend with a situation of chronic infection among weaned pigs. What is more, fingers are pointed to signs that PMWS is changing its face and becoming a killer more in the grow-finish stage of production than in the nursery. Increases in mortality starting at about 12 weeks are being described instead of the original picture of outbreaks around the time of weaning.

A longer extensive explanation is available if you want to read the rest of the article. http://pig-international.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=25076
Old November 28th, 2008, 19:53

This is why the PCV2 vaccine is given to piglets at weaning...to cover them until bacon weight.
Old November 28th, 2008, 19:57

The vaccine has much better results if given at weaning to all piglets...
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:20

Is it just one shot, or more than one?
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:24

within the first few hours of birth or is there a day that it has to be given on?
Old November 29th, 2008, 15:53

One shot only....but oh boy...does it work.
Old November 29th, 2008, 23:02

Thanks Chunky, what do you mean...but oh boy....does it work, As we do not have this disease in Australia.