ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > Vets and Producers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 31st, 2011, 19:19

Default Bore With A Sore

I have had Herbie for three years, he is a black berkshire bore. he is larger than life and was lent out to stud. On return to us he has had a back/pelvis injurery, THANKS! Now we have had the vet out and he's been given steroids and painkillers. What i'm looking for is any advise on treating this long term, as he only has three sows to service is it right to have him going with a sore back or worest case is thier no way that he will ever get back to his old self and just to go out and shoot him. Will break my heart!
Old June 3rd, 2011, 13:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robphil
I have had Herbie for three years, he is a black berkshire bore. he is larger than life and was lent out to stud. On return to us he has had a back/pelvis injurery, THANKS! Now we have had the vet out and he's been given steroids and painkillers. What i'm looking for is any advise on treating this long term, as he only has three sows to service is it right to have him going with a sore back or worest case is thier no way that he will ever get back to his old self and just to go out and shoot him. Will break my heart!

Its just a case really of seeing how he goes.
With rest and time hopefully he will come good, if not you could use him to assist in AI-ing your sows(having a boar for sight, smell and sound).
Good Luck with what ever you decide and keep us posted.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 22:31

Quote:
Lesson learnt, dont lend your boars out as people dont look after them the same way you do...... I would have charged them for the damage. I would also be sending the vet bills to them.....sorry but they have caused injury to your boar and that is not how they received the boar but have sent him back to you. What they should have done was phoned to say he had been injured and happily replaced him with something of similar vintage.......I know it is not the same boar, but right now you basically dont have one because this one now cannot work.. The only other option is to have a vet collect semen and store it for AI, and use him close at hand as Stevie has suggested. You may get a piglet from him that is suitable to replace him....but this is only a suggestion.
Old June 4th, 2011, 19:01

I totaly agree that they should carry the vets bills, but they are not intrested. They even admitted to us that they had seen him dancing on his hind legs and said nothing. Herbie covered two of their sows and this is the thanks we get. Some people!! We have had the vet out three times now and so far he has had a shot of seroids and two pain relief injections. He has had a shot cortisne injection which should be in his system for 10 days. We are also giving him joint complex, devels claw and super flex in his feed. We have seen a marked inprovment in him today though we will see how long it lasts for.
Old February 13th, 2012, 22:51

Well we tried and tonight we had to let him go. My 6 year old went into the trailer and gave him a great big hug and scratched his belly, he had such a good nature. To the b******s who had him I'll see you around. Let it be a lesson to all, not everyone looks after your pigs the way you do. Sad to see you go Herbie you will be missed!!
Old February 14th, 2012, 13:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well we tried and tonight we had to let him go. My 6 year old went into the trailer and gave him a great big hug and scratched his belly, he had such a good nature. To the b******s who had him I'll see you around. Let it be a lesson to all, not everyone looks after your pigs the way you do. Sad to see you go Herbie you will be missed!!

Such a shame.
Lending a boar to others is never a good idea because of this very reason.
Old February 14th, 2012, 20:53

Thanks Stevie G lesson learnt and never again. It Makes me so angrey as the people that had him are now winning Scottish shows with his offspring, if only people new what is behind all the smiles. If you have a pig you love dont let people have the chance to spoil it..........