ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > Vets and Producers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 27th, 2008, 11:34

Default pig drinkers

What types of pig drinkers are available for pigs to drink from and which is the best?

How much waste is there for the various methods of extracting water from a pipe and can this be minimised. Water is not a free commodity and water wastage is huge in a piggery.

Does any body have any ideas on how to curb this wastage?
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:18

I have had one private message and no response from the forum. I would have thought with water not being a luxury item but a valuable commodity this would be a good subject to throw around.
Old October 6th, 2008, 14:56

Its an interesting topic and one with considerable financial implications - not only through water use/wasteage, but any change to a current system may prove costly... I have seen many impressive systems, lots of different types of nipples and trough drinkers, but sometimes the simplest is the best. Its important to ensure the correct flow rates and drinker heights for pig comfort. I think the most efficient I have seen is the drinking bowl type where excess water is caught in a bowl surrounding, the pig can release the nipple and continue to drink. The Arato V drinker advertised on thepigsite claims improved efficiency but I have no experience with it, nor do I see just where the efficiency comes from, so can't comment...
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:17

Water bowls with nipples inside have been found to cut water wastage by up to 40%. These are a very effective way of providing water efficiently to pigs. Many companies make these through Europe and Asia.

Ball-type nipples are the in between improvement from bite nipples to water bowls. However pigs can still play with them.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:23

Hi Porkoz are you indoor or outdoor? What state are you in? I have tried bowls and they fill up with sand and you have to clean them out every day. I know the nipples are wasteful but they also give a clean sample of water at every mouthful, which the cups/bowls do not. I also feel sure that the bowls bring the piglets on quicker than the nipples and a thus allow piglets to eat more and do grow quicker. So there are fores and against for both. But with water restrictons and problems with water availability in Australia, it is a good subject to throw around. It is not just a simple commodity, but a precious item in some parts of Australia as you would be well aware..
Old October 23rd, 2008, 18:13

Best nipple drinker available is made by "Arato" costs more but very little waste when set correctly. Far cleaner than bowls, better than cheapo bite drinkers.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 22:43

I will look in to this thanks Chunky
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:55

Default supply pig drinkers and water saving methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde
What types of pig drinkers are available for pigs to drink from and which is the best?

How much waste is there for the various methods of extracting water from a pipe and can this be minimised. Water is not a free commodity and water wastage is huge in a piggery.

Does any body have any ideas on how to curb this wastage?

Hi sir

This is Peter, We could supply pig drinkers for your pig farm. please email me sendapeter001@yahoo.com. I will tell you how to do that
Old March 20th, 2012, 15:40

For son's show pigs, we took an 8" water pipe and cut it 5' tall, capped both ends. The bottom we used pvc glue and the top we used valsoine to keep it from sticking, so we can remove the top cap to fill as needed

drilled a hole to fit a pig nipple about 2" from the top of the bottom cap

then drilled several small holes to allow air in when pigs are drinking

depending on set up at the show we either use several bunngie cords or if we are staying a week we use some claps that came from Hubby's work shop