ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > General Pig Health
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:58

Default breeding

What do breeders look that is different from the past? and why?
Have the breeds of pigs changed? or are they all F1's?
Old April 30th, 2012, 19:39

our main thing is to know whether they are a stress carrier or not

I HATE IT WHEN SOME CALLS AND THE 1ST THING THEY ASK IS ARE THEY WHITE. Lost a lot of sales because son's piglets were red or black.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8Iggy
our main thing is to know whether they are a stress carrier or not

I HATE IT WHEN SOME CALLS AND THE 1ST THING THEY ASK IS ARE THEY WHITE. Lost a lot of sales because son's piglets were red or black.

Are you serious? Personally, I like dark colored pigs. But I guess there should be more to it than color, eh?
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Farm
Are you serious? Personally, I like dark colored pigs. But I guess there should be more to it than color, eh?
Some people prefer white and others and I also like colour, but body and bone structure is important
Old May 2nd, 2012, 13:15

Well it also depends on if you marketing meat hogs, breeding hogs or show hogs.

structure and bone isn't that important if you are pushing feed into one to get to 250 pounds and put a bullet in the head because hunting season is here and you sacked a deer

breeding you need a sow with functional teets and one that wont eat their babies when they come and a body that can handle 15 babies and not give your 4 unless you are a small operation

show now that's a fitting game, right now they want them body builder low riders that when you look at their back end that they are SO tight that if they do breed how or are you willing to get the youngest two leggers down there to pull babies

We have a rainbow herd and our son just got his 1st white gilt and she is struggling with sun issues. Got a trap over their day pen and since they aren't 100 pounds yet I will not let them out with the rest because they will blow through my lowest barbed wire. We bred to what my son likes and wants and to with the rest of them people who don't know that colored hogs taste and act sometimes better then those white ones.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 13:22

So I8Iggy, you're saying that some people have a biased notion that white pigs taste better? I've never heard that (not that I would hear much anyway). When I buy pork at the store, it never occurs to me what color the pig might have been.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 13:47

When people want roasting pigs they want white because "they are self basting"..... ......, I can't tell ya because I'm allergic to food that been BBQ.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 13:49

Besides PETTA does a great job (if you belive that) putting out the image that the only color pig is white.

Which my 10 year old who has more sense then them sometimes knows that they come in every color.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Farm
So I8Iggy, you're saying that some people have a biased notion that white pigs taste better? I've never heard that (not that I would hear much anyway). When I buy pork at the store, it never occurs to me what color the pig might have been.
I breed red saddles and when you castrate the Italian seem to like them more than the whites....... I cant see the difference on the inside only the outside.