ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Sign up for ThePigSite weekly newsletter 5m Books.com VIV Europe 2014 Digital Introducing ElSitioPorcino.com

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > "Off Your Chest"
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 20th, 2012, 16:44

Default finding metal arc for pig ark

I've been trying to find pre-bent corrugated metal pieces to make the roof part of a pig ark for some time now. I'm in the US and even when looking for pig arks for sale or to be assembled I only fine UK or Irish sites! This is very frustrating. Has anybody over here made one? Where did they get the roofing material? One guy I know suggested getting a corrugated culvert pipe and cutting it - sounds like quite a job, I guess with a cutting torch or something (equipment and know how not here, but could be found locally). Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks
dtstewart
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstewart
I've been trying to find pre-bent corrugated metal pieces to make the roof part of a pig ark for some time now. I'm in the US and even when looking for pig arks for sale or to be assembled I only fine UK or Irish sites! This is very frustrating. Has anybody over here made one? Where did they get the roofing material? One guy I know suggested getting a corrugated culvert pipe and cutting it - sounds like quite a job, I guess with a cutting torch or something (equipment and know how not here, but could be found locally). Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks
dtstewart
why does it have to be bent, why not use it flat. and make a square or rectangular hut...... use pallets as your base. I am sure they have them in the USA. I wire them together and tech tin on to the outside and to the roof ...... pig hut....I also use second hand tin, not new, and use silicon to fiill the holes to stop it leaking inside.
Old May 7th, 2012, 21:02

You could make one out of an old water tank cut in half. We have several deigns of wooden huts made of ply, farrowing huts are A shaped over a wooden frame, sow accomodation ply over a metal collapsable frame.
Old May 8th, 2012, 15:33

We used square tubing and had a pipe shop to bend the ribs for us

Don't laugh, but if you have gental pigs seen them made out of PVC pipe (ribs)

If you know a welder they can weld the 45 degree angles to make the dome shape

or make them square like but make one side higher to let the rain run off
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodie
You could make one out of an old water tank cut in half. We have several deigns of wooden huts made of ply, farrowing huts are A shaped over a wooden frame, sow accomodation ply over a metal collapsable frame.
Do you have any photos Rhodie?
I just use pallets they are readily available they come in different sizes. and they can be covered in tin, flat or corrugated. They can be square or rectangular. Make one side slighlty higher than the other for the rain to run off. Sows and growers just love the interior. They cram in to them at night. I also use them as windbreaks out the front of huts.