ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Sign up for ThePigSite weekly newsletter 5m Books.com VIV Europe 2014 Digital Introducing ElSitioPorcino.com

Go Back   ThePigSite Discussion Forum > "Off Your Chest"
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 16th, 2010, 14:50

Default OOOPS! We got Major Problem! HELP!

Good Day,

Having read that pigs love Jerusalem Artichokes I planted heaps..... and now our 7 week old pigs will not eat them!

We had planned on Jerusalem Artichokes being a major part of their diet, but these guys are just not interested, even when mixed with stuff they really like (oatmeal & molasses on artichokes) they just sort through it, maybe suck the molasses off and leave the artichokes.

And now we have artichokes coming up ALL OVER THE BLOODY PLACE.

Anybody got any ideas as to how to get them eating - and loving- artichokes just like the book said????

Thanks!

Rock
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrothwell
Good Day,

Having read that pigs love Jerusalem Artichokes I planted heaps..... and now our 7 week old pigs will not eat them!

We had planned on Jerusalem Artichokes being a major part of their diet, but these guys are just not interested, even when mixed with stuff they really like (oatmeal & molasses on artichokes) they just sort through it, maybe suck the molasses off and leave the artichokes.

And now we have artichokes coming up ALL OVER THE BLOODY PLACE.

Anybody got any ideas as to how to get them eating - and loving- artichokes just like the book said????

Thanks!

Rock
Theres got to be some sensible reason your pigs won't eat them. There n o fools. Always best to test the water first before jumping in!
Old May 17th, 2010, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G
Theres got to be some sensible reason your pigs won't eat them. There n o fools. Always best to test the water first before jumping in!

Stevie et all,

your right, always best to test the waters before you jump in.

However, Jerome Belanger's book swears they love them and from what i've read pigs will eat anything edible to man. We got another 4 beasts yesterday and they won't eat the damned Jerusalem artichokes either.

So much for the experts...... I suppose it comes down to personal tastes. Maybe they are just a bunch of snobs. I have a big batch of artichokes right next to the pen..... so will continue to chuck bits over the fence at them. if they don't eat them then will withhold feed for a day & give them access to the artichokes. Hate to do it, but when you get a bit hungry, tastes change.

If ANYONE has suggestions as to how to get them eating Jerusalem Artichokes it would be very much appreciated as, although it won't hurt them, withholding food for a day is never appreciated by anyone & we want these guys happy, healty, fat & sassy.

Shane
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:02
Super Moderator

Quote:
Stevie et all,

your right, always best to test the waters before you jump in.

However, Jerome Belanger's book swears they love them and from what i've read pigs will eat anything edible to man. We got another 4 beasts yesterday and they won't eat the damned Jerusalem artichokes either.

So much for the experts...... I suppose it comes down to personal tastes. Maybe they are just a bunch of snobs. I have a big batch of artichokes right next to the pen..... so will continue to chuck bits over the fence at them. if they don't eat them then will withhold feed for a day & give them access to the artichokes. Hate to do it, but when you get a bit hungry, tastes change.

If ANYONE has suggestions as to how to get them eating Jerusalem Artichokes it would be very much appreciated as, although it won't hurt them, withholding food for a day is never appreciated by anyone & we want these guys happy, healty, fat & sassy.

Shane
Yes don't buy them from Jerusalem, buy them for else where!
And do you know the definition of an expert.............an EX is a has been and a pert(pronounced spurt) is a drip under pressure, boom, boom! I've got to say this, that if a pigs not prepared to eat them then they must be "bloody awful" as you rightly say " pigs will normally eat anything".
Old May 18th, 2010, 14:11

Quote:
Yes don't buy them from Jerusalem, buy them for else where!
And do you know the definition of an expert.............an EX is a has been and a pert(pronounced spurt) is a drip under pressure, boom, boom! I've got to say this, that if a pigs not prepared to eat them then they must be "bloody awful" as you rightly say " pigs will normally eat anything".

There is nothing wrong with the Jerusalem Artichokes. We eat them. whilst not my favorite food, they are perfectly eatable. I don't eat alfalfa either but they seem to love it.

But back to the question... Please. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the pigs to each Jerusalem Artichokes.

Many Thanks,
Rock
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Jerusalem Artichokes. We eat them. whilst not my favorite food, they are perfectly eatable. I don't eat alfalfa either but they seem to love it.

But back to the question... Please. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the pigs to each Jerusalem Artichokes.

Many Thanks,
Rock
How about drying them out, putting them through a mill and feeding them with the Alfalfa. Or buying some Molasses, coating them with it and then feeding it. Or maybe these pigs like them cooked first, so boil them and then serve them up. Or just eat them yourself and give them the other food you it!
Difficult one this.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 18:43

Quote:
How about drying them out, putting them through a mill and feeding them with the Alfalfa. Or buying some Molasses, coating them with it and then feeding it. Or maybe these pigs like them cooked first, so boil them and then serve them up. Or just eat them yourself and give them the other food you it!
Difficult one this.

Thanks Stevie G, that is what it may come down to which would be a major pain in the ass! The whole idea was for the pigs to do the digging. It comes down to a question of who's in charge. Me or the pigs. If I dig em up, cook, handle, put molasses on etc....and the cost of the silver platters, linen napkins!

What I'll probably do is, when artichokes are mature, I'll extend the fence around the artichoke patch, herd them into that section, put a hot wire up so they can not get at their feed (give em water of course) and leave them at the patch for the day, moving them back in the evening. going without their regular feed during the day is not going to hurt them (I'd not think) and with free access to artichokes they will hopefully eat them.

Any other Comments? Suggestions?

Many Thanks,
Rock
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Stevie G, that is what it may come down to which would be a major pain in the ass! The whole idea was for the pigs to do the digging. It comes down to a question of who's in charge. Me or the pigs. If I dig em up, cook, handle, put molasses on etc....and the cost of the silver platters, linen napkins!

What I'll probably do is, when artichokes are mature, I'll extend the fence around the artichoke patch, herd them into that section, put a hot wire up so they can not get at their feed (give em water of course) and leave them at the patch for the day, moving them back in the evening. going without their regular feed during the day is not going to hurt them (I'd not think) and with free access to artichokes they will hopefully eat them.

Any other Comments? Suggestions?

Many Thanks,
Rock
When are you buying the silver platters and linen napkins then?
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:36

From memory Jerusalem Artichokes (in me anyway!) result in major bouts of flatulence!

Maybe it's a blessing that your pigs don't like them!?

>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
"The tubers have a consistency much like potatoes, and in their raw form have a similar texture to potatoes, but a sweeter, nuttier flavor; raw and sliced thinly, they are fit for a salad. The carbohydrates give the tubers a tendency to become soft and mushy if boiled, but they retain their texture better when steamed. The inulin is not well digested by some people, leading in some cases to flatulence and gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:
"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

Last edited by TonyG : June 1st, 2010 at 08:44.
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
From memory Jerusalem Artichokes (in me anyway!) result in major bouts of flatulence!

Maybe it's a blessing that your pigs don't like them!?

>>
May be they need to be cooked before they are given to the pigs....this might stop the flatulence....pigs might enjoy them more if they a soft rather than raw.

I would just grow a vegie patch with an assortment of vegies and let them root around when the patch is finished personally and may be have 2 or 3 going to allow for the pigs to move around clean up the patch ferilize it and allow you to start again.