ThePigSite Pig Health
Records(232) If productivity is to be increased it is necessary to identify those areas during the pre-mating and pregnancy period that are either inefficiently managed or adversely affected by disease. Disease and farrowing rate loss recording sheets are described in chapter 5 and they are important aids to this identification process. Records will identify why reproduction failures have occurred and also provide information about culling and mortality.
They should include information on:
- Culling policies relative to the slaughter price of the sow.
- Haemorrhage problems.
- Infertility including repeats, sows not in pig, discharges etc.
- Mastitis, agalactia and udder oedema.
- Mortality and its specific causes.
- Poor conformation and its effects.
- Prolapse of the vagina or rectum.
- Sows with poor litters.
- Specific diseases.
- The age profile of the herd.