ThePigSite Recipe Section
Bacon and Vegetable Crispy Cheese BakeBy thePigSite.com
This is a great recipe to help you towards those suggested 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. It would also be low calorie if it wasn't for all that lovely cheese, but hey who cares.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
Main1 Cauliflower, chopped
2 sprigs of broccoli, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
OPTIONAL: peas and/or sweet peppers to add colour
50g (2oz) grated or sliced cheese
2 tbls olive oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
Cheesy bacon sauce8 rashers of bacon, chopped
30g (1½oz) cornflour
75g (3oz) cheddar cheese
300ml (10fl.oz) milk
salt and pepper to taste
Vegetables for dish
Fry the chopped bacon
Make the bacon sauce, pour over the cooked vegetables
Top off with
cheese and pepper
The finished article
1. Cook the chopped vegetables in a large pan or steamer for about 4-5 minutes to the point where they are cooked but still firm and crisp.
2. Meanwhile, in a large solid pan, fry the chopped bacon in the olive oil and soy sauce until crisp (a few minutes).
3. Lower the heat and stir the cornflour into the bacon. Stirring continuously, slowly add the milk to the mix to create the bacon sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce is simmering otherwise it will go lumpy.
4. Once the sauce is simmering add the cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Drain the vegetables, and arrange in a large dish. Pour over the bacon and cheese sauce.
6. Add the grated/sliced cheese and top with a little freshly grated black pepper.