ThePigSite Recipe Section
Spicy Pork Pepperoni and Ham Pizza on a Sundried Tomato and Herb BaseBy thePigSite.com
This is a great recipe to make if you own a bread maker. You can quickly create our special herb and dried tomato pizza base in the bread maker whilst preparing the remaining ingredients. In 40 minutes you can have your own freshly baked pizza - far better than a take out.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
Pizza Base250 g (9-oz) plain bread flour
50 g (2-oz) wholemeal bread flour
20 g (1-oz) olive oil
7 g sachet of dried yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tbls milk powder
3-4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
160 ml water
Pizza Topping: (see tips)3 tbls tomato sauce of choice
several slices of ham of choice
sliced spicy pork pepperoni
sliced cheddar cheese
handful of grated mozzarella cheese
freshly grated black pepper
sprinkling of dried mixed herbs
sliced peppers (optional)
metal baking tray approx 30 x 40cm
(12" x 16")
Roll-out the pizza base
sauce over base
Add cheddar cheese then ham
Sprinkle with mozzarella, add
pepperoni, more mozzarella,
black pepper & herbs
The finished article
If you don't have a bread maker add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pour in the wet ingredients and mix to a dough. Kneed for 5 minutes and put to one side until point 3..
2. Next, get prepared. Pull all the topping ingredients together and preheat the oven to 180ºC (375ºF) or 160ºC (350ºF) for fan assisted ovens.
3. Once the dough is ready (the mixing process has stopped), lay out on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a shape to fit your baking tray. The base wants to be around 3-4 mm thick and should cover a 30 x 40 cm tray. Don't worry if the base is a bit thicker or thinner so long as it fits your tray. If you're a pizza expert you can "throw" the pizza to about 40cm (15") diameter like they do in the pizza parlours.
4. Place the pizza base onto the metal tray. This should be lightly floured to prevent the pizza sticking.
5. Spread the tomato sauce over the base. If you like crusty edges leave an edge, if not spread the sauce to the edge.
6. Lay the slices of cheddar on top of the sauce, than the ham.
7. Sprinkle approx. 1/3 of the mozzarella on top of the ham, add the pepperoni (and peppers if using) and then the rest of the mozzarella.
8. Finally, sprinkle with the dried mixed herbs and black pepper to taste.
Cooking9. Pop in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. If needs be, leave a little longer until the top is lightly crisped.
Cook's TipsThe ideal sauce to use is one of the ready made tomato based pasta sauces. There are several to choose from, we have used both a roasted mushroom flavoured sauce and a black olive and roasted vegetable sauce for this recipe. Chose your favourite.
If your base is too big for the tray, why not create a stuffed crust edge or two. Where it is too big, just lay chunks of cheese along the edge and fold the base over. Do this before spreading the sauce. (Note - the right hand edge of this pizza is stuffed.)