ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

USDA Hogs and Pigs


06 March 2015

USDA United States and Canadian Hogs - 6 March 2015USDA United States and Canadian Hogs - 6 March 2015


USDA Hogs and Pigs

United States and Canadian Hog Inventory Up 2 Percent

United States and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for December 2014 was 79.2 million head. This was up 2 percent from December 2013, and up slightly from December 2012. The breeding inventory, at 7.19 million head, was up 3 percent from a year ago and up 2 percent from 2012. Market hog inventory, at 72.0 million head, was up 2 percent from last year and up slightly from 2012. The semi-annual pig crop, at 72.5 million head, was up 1 percent from 2013 but down 1 percent from 2012. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 7.03 million head, up 2 percent from last year but down 1 percent from 2012.

United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on December 1, 2014 was 66.1 million head. This was up 2 percent from December 1, 2013 and up 1 percent from September 1, 2014. The breeding inventory, at 5.97 million head, was up 4 percent from last year and up 1 percent from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.1 million head, was up 2 percent from last year, and up 1 percent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 29.4 million head, was up 4 percent from 2013 and up slightly from 2012. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.87 million head, up 3 percent from 2013 but down 1 percent from 2012.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on January 1, 2015 was 13.2 million head. This was up 2 percent from January 1, 2014 and up 4 percent from January 1, 2013. The breeding inventory, at 1.22 million head, was up slightly from last year and up 1 percent from 2013. Market hog inventory, at 11.9 million head, was up 2 percent from last year and up 5 percent from 2013. The semi-annual pig crop, at 13.6 million head, was up 1 percent from 2014 but down 4 percent from 2013. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 1.26 million head, up 1 percent from last year but down 4 percent from 2013.

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books