ThePigSite Quick Disease Guide
This is a relatively common condition, the boar at mating passes fresh blood into the vagina.
- Blood around vulva post service.
- Blood in semen.
- Blood around the prepuce and skin.
- No generalised illness.
- Sudden onset.
- Haemorrhage only occurs at mating.
Causes / contributing factors
- Damaged penis.
- Ulceration of the urethra.
- Haemorrhage from accessory glands.
- Haemorrhage from the preputial sac.
- Trauma to the penis from sows or boars in outdoor mating.
DiagnosisThis is made from the clinical symptoms.
- Rest the boar for 3 weeks
- Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 5 days
- If it reoccurs cull the boar