ThePigSite Quick Disease Guide
This is caused by a virus and considered a rare disease in pigs. It is invariably fatal in all species including the human - hence its importance. Rabies is absent from the UK but present in may other countries throughout the world.
- As for sows.
Onset is sudden with:
- Nervous twitching of the face muscles.
- Fits and convulsions.
- Rapid chewing.
- The muscles may also go into spasm.
- Posterior paralysis may occur.
- Death usually takes place within 3 days.
Causes / Contributing factors
- Rabies virus is spread by contact with wild life.