ThePigSite Pig Health
12 key points to piglet survival(391) Piglet survival is increased by:
- Maintaining a healthy sow.
- Providing good hygiene at farrowing.
- Providing extra heat lamps both at the side and behind the sow during farrowing.
- Good observation at farrowing.
- Maintaining a warm farrowing house without draughts and with good insulated floors.
- Ensuring the piglet dries off quickly after farrowing.
- Immediate removal of the piglet to the creep area for acclimatisation.
- Maximising early colostrum intake.
- Giving prompt assistance to weak pigs.
- Fostering and even up of weights at birth.
- Removing eye teeth promptly.
- Cross fostering early.