Slapmarking advice

UK - It is anticipated that Trading Standards will be sympathetic towards any producer who has not yet received his new slapmarker, particularly as postal deliveries are disrupted in some areas.
calendar icon 31 October 2003
clock icon 3 minute read

NPA Logo

NPA is active on members' behalf in Brussels & White-hall, and with pro-cessors, supermarkets & caterers – fighting for the growth and pros-perity of the UK pig industry.

However producers should not rely on this period of grace and anyone who hasn't ordered his new slapmarker yet should make it his (or her) first job tomorrow.

Meanwhile NPA is urging marketing groups to help any producers avoid difficulties with Trading Standards, by making sure that where a new slapmark is not in use, the abattoir is appraised of what the mark will be and can correlate it with the old slapmark still in use.

In offering this advice, NPA's Ian Campbell observes that from what he has seen over the past couple of weeks, quality of slapping remains poor, even where new equipment is being used.

He urges producers to make a concerted effort to slap conscientiously, to safeguard national biosecurity and ensure correct payment from the abattoir.

Herdmark day is this Saturday

The new identification rules take effect this Saturday. All pigs going to slaughter must be identified with their Defra herdmark. All pigs over one year of age moving to any destination must be identified with the Defra herdmark of the premises from which they are leaving. Pig keepers are responsible for ensuring the pigs in their care meet these requirements.

Pigs under 1 year of age

  • Moving to slaughter require identifying with a Defra herdmark.
  • Moving to another holding require a temporary paint mark.
Pigs over 1 year of age
  • Moving to slaughter require identifying with a Defra herdmark.
  • Moving to another holding, a collection centre, a market or for breeding or anywhere require a Defra herdmark.

The Defra herdmark is one or two alpha characters followed by four digits, for example: AB1234 or B1234.

People who keep pigs, even pet pigs, must register their details with Defra via their local Animal Health Divisional Office to register. You must register even if you do not own the pigs but are responsible for their day-to-day care and management. If you move premises or stop keeping pigs, you must inform your local Animal Health Divisional Office.

Defra Helpline: 0845 0509876

Source: National Pig Association - 30th October 2003

© 2000 - 2023 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.