Trichinosis Parasite Found In Pig At Carroll Farm

MARYLAND - State agriculture officials warned consumers Thursday that trichinosis - a disease caused by a parasitic worm - had been discovered in tests conducted on a dead pig taken from a Carroll County farm during a recent raid.

"Any pork purchased from the Schisler farm should be discarded," said Anthony McCann, secretary of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. "If anyone chooses to eat pork acquired from this farm, it should be cooked to a consistent internal temperature of 170 degrees."

Officials - who stressed that the disease is not spread from person to person - said no part of the diseased pig was sold or consumed, but consumers who purchased pork products from the farm should avoid eating the meat or cook it thoroughly.

Symptoms associated with eating infected pork can occur within a few days and include nausea, diarrhea, fever, aching joints and muscle pain, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Source: Baltimore Sun
calendar icon 7 April 2006
clock icon 2 minute read
© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.