ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

US and Canadian Hog Inventory Down Three Per Cent

by 5m Editor
29 October 2009, at 8:14am

US - This publication is a result of a joint effort by Statistics Canada and NASS to release the total hogs, breeding, market hogs, sows farrowed, and pig crop for both countries within one publication.

US and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for September 2009 was 78.4 million head. This was down 3 per cent from September 2008 and down 4 per cent from September 2007. The breeding inventory, at 7.23 million head, was down 3 per cent from a year ago and down 2 per cent from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 71.2 million head, was down 3 per cent from last year but up slightly from last quarter. The pig crop, at 36.0 million head, was down 2 per cent from 2008 and down 2 per cent from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 3.70 million head, down 4 per cent from last year.

US inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 September 2009 was 66.6 million head. This was down 2 per cent from 1 September 2008 but up 1 per cent from 1 June 2009. The breeding inventory, at 5.87 million head, was down 3 per cent from last year and down 2 per cent from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was down 2 per cent from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 28.8 million head, was down 2 per cent from 2008 and down 1 per cent from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.97 million head, down 4 per cent from last year.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 October 2009 was 11.8 million head. This was down 7 per cent from 1 October 2008 and down 18 per cent from 1 October 2007. The breeding inventory, at 1.35 million head, was down 5 per cent from last year and down 2 per cent from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.5 million head, was down 8 per cent from last year and down 2 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.3 million head, was down 4 per cent from 2008 and down 7 per cent from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 731,600 head, down 5 per cent from last year.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.