Pig Deaths Found to be Caused by Toxic Gas

CHINA - Local authorities have found that pigs and dogs that were found dead in a village in Central China's Henan province died from respiratory failure due to inhaling toxic gas.
calendar icon 23 April 2013
clock icon 2 minute read

A total of 410 pigs and 122 dogs were found dead Monday morning in the village of Dongtun in the city of Yanshi.

The No.1 Hospital affiliated with the Henan University of Science and Technology said test results showed that the animals died from respiratory failure.

A local medical manufacturing plant has been under investigation for allegedly causing toxic gas leaks. However, the gas that killed the animals has not been identified and it is unknown whether the plant had any part in their deaths.

Some villagers claimed that the factory has been emitting a strong odour for more than 10 years. They said the smell was particularly strong the morning that the animals died.

Test results from local environmental authorities indicate that the area's air and drinking water are clean.

Further Reading

Go to our previous news item on this story by clicking here.

© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.