German slaughterhouse contending with COVID-19 to remain closed pending hygiene plan

A large German abattoir and meat packing plant at the centre of a recent coronavirus outbreak cannot reopen until authorities are satisfied with its hygiene procedures.
calendar icon 8 July 2020
clock icon 3 minute read

The company had presented a hygiene plan to authorities that went in the right direction but "still needs work and I believe the company will undertake this", he said, adding it was still not possible to say when the plant would reopen.

The outbreak sparked a national debate about whether consumers should be prepared to pay more for meat to improve standards in German meat packing plants.

The plant has provisionally been ordered to close up to 17 July, Adenauer said. Health and safety officials continue to inspect it and negotiate with the company over the new hygiene plan. Another round of assessments will be made on Thursday.

Toennies did not have immediate comment. The company has previously apologised and said it is working closely with authorities on a hygiene plan to achieve a reopening.

The Guetersloh plant normally slaughters and processes between 12 percent to 14 percent of Germany's pigs and the closure is causing disruption to pig farmers, the Association of German pig farmers said.

On Monday 6 July, a court ordered an end to the lockdown in Guetersloh.

Read more about this story here.

© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.