USDA Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Report - September 2011 [Updated]

by 5m Editor
29 September 2011, at 12:00am

The latest quarterly Hogs and Pigs report from the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS).


For a PRINTABLE VERSION of the full 16-page report in PDF format, including all the tabular data that is not shown in this article, please click here

USDA Quarterly Pigs and Hogs Report: June 2011

US Hog Inventory Up One Per Cent

United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 September 2011 was 66.6 million head. This was up 1 per cent from 1 September 2010, and up 3 per cent from 1 June 2011.

Breeding inventory, at 5.81 million head, was up 1 per cent from last year, and up slightly from the previous quarter.

Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was up 1 per cent from last year, and up 3 per cent from last quarter.

The June-August 2011 pig crop, at 29.1 million head, was up 1 per cent from 2010 and up 1 per cent from 2009. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 2.90 million head, down 1 per cent from 2010 and down 2 per cent from 2009. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50 per cent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 10.03 for the June-August 2011 period, compared to 9.81 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.50 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 10.10 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.

Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Inventory – United States:
1 September

United States hog producers intend to have 2.87 million sows farrow during the September-November 2011 quarter, down slightly from the actual farrowings during the same period in 2010, and down 1 per cent from 2009. Intended farrowings for December-February 2012, at 2.86 million sows, are up slightly from 2011, but down 1 per cent from 2010.

The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 46 per cent of the total United States hog inventory, up from 43 per cent last year.


All inventory and pig crop estimates for September 2010 through June 2011 were reviewed using final pig crop, official slaughter, death loss, and updated import and export data. Based on the findings of this review, an adjustment of less than one half of one per cent was made to the March 2011 total inventory. An adjustment of one half of one per cent was made to the June 2011 total inventory. An adjustment of less than one half of one per cent was made to the December 2010-February 2011 pig crop.

What the commentators and industry thinkers read into this data:

Ron Plain Ron Plain
Ron Plain on the Hogs and Pigs Report
USDA's September hogs and pigs report said the hog herd was larger than pre-release trade forecasts, writes Ron Plain.

Steve Meyer Steve Meyer, Paragon Economics, Inc
Hogs & Pigs Report Slightly Bearish
Economist Steve Meyer writes, "USDA’s quarterly Hogs and Pigs Report, released Wednesday afternoon, indicates modest growth across the board for hog numbers and production."
Jim Long Jim Long
Pork Commentary: September Hogs and Pigs Report Bullish
"Some of the wizard economists have called the last weeks USDA bearish, we don’t see that. This summer while we had US lean hogs around $1.00 the US breeding herd did not expand with the September breeding herd at 5.806 million, only 3,000 head greater than the 1 June," writes Jim Long

Chris Hurt Chris Hurt, Purdue University
Pork Outlook Brightens
Chris Hurt comments on the latest USDA Hogs and Pigs report.

More to follow soon...

In The News - What The Media Says

More to follow soon.....
Quarterly Litter Rate – United States

Pigs per Litter by Size of Operation – United States:
June-August 2011

Quarterly Sows Farrowed – United States

Quarterly Pig Crop – United States

Reliability of 1 September Hogs and Pigs Estimates

To review this information, including the Survey Procedures, Estimation Procedures, Revision Policy and Reliability, please download the PDF.

Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Report, September 2011 - USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service

September 2011